Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Cowl, a Scarf and a Tee


I had no idea what to title this post, so I went for something creative ;)  This is just a random mix of things.  I finished a couple of projects I had intended to complete during Self-Stitched September, but we all know how that goes.  Just some basic, easy pieces.  Things I plan to get a lot of use from.  

 The green tee is another version of my beloved Burda 2-2011 long sleeve tee pattern.  This time I stuck with the long sleeves.  I've lost count of how many times I've made up this pattern!  I realized during SSS that the easiest items for me to wear to work are knits. I used a pretty green, beefy interlock I had in my stash.  I noticed that this version seems to be a little slouchier than previous versions.  I think it's because the interlock is a cheaper quality- not as much recovery.  I scooped the neck out a little. 


I've had my eye on a silk pom-pom scarf in the Garnet Hill catalog for a while now, but $178 is an insane amount for a scarf.   So when this tutorial from the purl bee popped up in my reader, I knew I had to make it.  Stat.  I had the linen in my stash but picked up the pom-pom trim.  What other situation is it okay for an adult to wear pom-poms?  I love it.

The cowl is pretty self explanatory.  A long rectangle connected at the ends.  But I thought the method of making a double fold on the edges to insert the trim in to was pretty ingenious.  I used a wide zig zag stitch instead of edge stitching.


I used a super sheer linen for the striped version, much like the tutorial (which was really wiggly and hard to sew, btw).  The black version is a leftover remnant, medium-weight linen from my pintuck blouse.  When I connected the ends I realized it was too bulky.   I added the border pieces on the ends to make it longer and called it a scarf.  I love that it's wider.  I can use it as a shawl, too.


There it is.  Exciting stuff, huh?

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! You can never have too many scarves and I love that green for the t-shirt!

    I've always been a bit hesitant to work with knits. Do you use a regular needle on a regular sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pom pom trim is awesome, so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pom-poms are very cute. It's always fun to make things like this in between the trickier stuff - keeps us sane methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the striped version. If I had to pick a trimming, pompoms it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three very lovely items! All look fabulous separately as well as together. I just love the pom pom trim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's exciting is that these will probably get worn, worn, worn! They probably didn't take too much time or money and they have the ability to transform existing outfits. Winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why thank you very much, ladies! I'm excited about the pompom trim myself.

    Ashley-- I have the most basic sewing machine known to mankind. I use a ball point needle and a narrow zig zag stitch.

    Bernice-- I totally agree. Sometimes you need the quick and easy projects to keep you going.

    Big in Japan- Yes! That's what I was going for. I usually make things that are pretty unusual so people notice when I wear them several times in a row. These are things I can wear all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these! I'm inspired. going to have to go through my stash and see what i have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scarves and the tshirt looks so professionally done! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete