Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sweetness


My sweet little baby was baptized the other weekend.  It was a group baptism, which was both beautiful and humorous at the same time.  As the service continued on, the restlessness of all the babies escalated and escalated.  By the end there was quite a lot of crying and noise.  In the midst of all of it, baby Jane passed out.  Like a deep, dead-to-the-world slumber.  Too much excitement, I guess.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if she slept like that at home...


 My mom gave me my old baptismal outfit for Jane to wear.  And I planned on her wearing it all along until about a week and half before the service.  Luckily I thought to try it on because it was too small.   I think the original baptismal gown was made for a six week old baby.  It would have fit her anyway except baby Jane's four month old chubby arms wouldn't fit in the sleeves.  So I decided at the last minute to make her something quick and easy.


I think she looks like Little Bo Peep.  I love that the outfit ended up looking fresh but old fashioned at the same time.  I used swiss dot and a little bit of pink fabric I had in the stash.  I love swiss dot so much.  There is something so nice about those little puffs of texture every so often. 


I used my bodice pattern that I've used before.  As a bonus I discovered that it fits her perfectly right now, so she can wear all those sweet little clothes I made her before she was born.  The skirt of the dress is just a gathered rectangle.  I cut it a little shorter so you can see the pantaloons underneath.  The pantaloons!  How crazy adorable are those little pantaloons?!  When she just has the pantaloons on she looks like a little pirate.


I added a little mini pom trim around the waist and some eyelet lace to the hem of the pantaloons.  I really did keep it simple.  This was no heirloom baptismal gown.  Just something nice and sweet to wear.


Now the bonnet.  Let me tell you about the bonnet.  It's my favorite part.  Little betty of little betty sews thoughtfully sent me her bonnet pattern when I was pregnant.  I meant to make one up a while ago, but you know how things go with a new baby.  I was excited to print the pattern out and sew one up for this outfit.  And oh. my. goodness.  This little bonnet pattern is so darn cute that I almost can't stand it.  The seams all match up perfectly which I am duly impressed with.  I have made a fair amount of baby headgear now and very rarely have I had a pattern match up exactly right.  Her instructions are in depth and perfect for even a total beginner.  I highly recommend this little bonnet pattern.  I will definitely be making more for my little bub.



Can't you just see her halo now? ;) Despite this not being heirloom sewing, I will be packing this outfit away carefully.  I'm so glad I was able to make it.  I'm chalking this one up to another one of those times where I am so glad I can sew.


Sweetness.  That about sums it all up.

35 comments:

  1. What a cute outfit and Baby Jane is adorable! I didn't realize that you'd gotten to the 4 month mark already - she must be so much fun now! BTW, this won't be the last time that you're glad you can sew for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so much fun!! She just started giggling. It just about melts your heart to hear it.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh... swiss dot, mini-pom trim and PANTALOONS! Three awesome things that go better together. Baby J is a lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those feet! THOSE FEET! So adorable. And I love your baptismal outfit. Hope your first day back at school went well. It's so hard to walk away that first day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much cute! The swiss dots! the sleepitude! the bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugg. she is so cute. And I love that bonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww, a smile right at the end! sooooo cute! Congratulations on her big day :)
    her outfit is the cutest! I adore swiss dots, even on us oldies it is so feminine and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is the cutest. Really adorable in that outfit, and the pantaloons!! Ah. I don't know any baby, wich is a shame, cause they would have gotten a little bonnet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable!! I love that you made her christening outfit, and whilst you say it's not heirloom, it kind if is! All the thought in the little details. So cute and gorgeous on too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a gorgeous bub and cute christening outfit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww - so much cuteness!!!! Honestly, what an adorable smile she has. And the outfit you made her was super sweet, I loved the pom pom detail at the waist and eyelet on the hem. And I agree with Scruffybadger - I would say it totally is heirloom worthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am dying with cuteness overload! this outfit is so perfect, and definitely heirloom quality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Four months already! She is really the sweetest little baby! This outfit is so perfect, I love the swiss dot and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, she's so cute! What a wonderful outfit you made for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhh, this is so sweet! What a lovely outfit-- I really hope you keep it and make it a family heirloom! :D Baby Jane is ridiculously adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have the world's most adorable baby! you're almost making me want to have one. almost...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful little outfit! It's so much fun making baby clothes! I remember how I couldn't wait to get outfits off the sewing machine and put them on my girls for a photo--actually I am still the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I usually put them on her right away- whether she's up for it or not!

      Delete
  17. That is SOOO Cute! But you were the one that turned me on to "mini poms" and I'd like to know how in the world do you sew it on???? The thing it's attached to (haha what is it called?) is so tiny I can't even use my zipper foot to try and sew it.....how DO you sew with this stuff???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! The edge you sew is teensy. I had a lot of trouble using my zipper foot, too. So I just use my regular foot and run it right over the mini poms. It works so much better!

      Delete
    2. ooohhh!!!! I will try that - thanks!!!

      Delete
  18. Congrats on her baptism! Her dress is beautiful :D My daughter's godmother sewed a beautiful eyelet gown for her baptism. Handmade with love= heirloom, in my book! :D Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh she is so darling! And what a lucky girl to have a Mommy who makes her such beautiful clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this is just about the cutest! Swiss dot for a baptismal dress is perfect! What a sweet baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! What an adorable baby and a perfect baptismal outfit! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg too cute! That hat could not g more adorable. She is the most perfect little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The bonnet is too adorable! I love the pink contrast lining.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your baby looks adorable. I love the picture where she is a sleep especially. Could there be anything cuter! Good call on the outfit, babies grow so fast, it's a good job you checked and can sew! It will be lovely to look back on in years to come, that you sewed her special outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. She is simply lovely! Especially in that little hat. Good for you for sewing such a beautiful little outfit for your darling.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So adorable! And what a precious little outfit - dress, pantaloons, and bonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just so adorable, there are no words! She looks beautiful. What a great age, where their little personalities really start to shine. Congratulations on her baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  28. aww, this is adorable (swiss dot, squee!) and it'll be such a special memory when she grows up. congrats!

    ReplyDelete